Pages

Sunday 1 July 2012

Burch & Purchese @ The Langham

1 Southgate Avenue
Southbank, VIC 3006
038696888
website

647 Chapel Street
South Yarra, VIC 3141
0398277060
burchandpurchese.com

 I went through the high tea society blog and found the Langham's tea session interesting so I went to their website. What a surprise, they have been collaborating with Burch & Purchese to create a series of "bespoke" Afternoon teas. Having seen this, I called my friends straight away and made the booking.
The series are offered on selected Friday every month till October 2012, so you better pick a date and call for a booking. The cost is $69/person which includes three tiers of FOOD, unlimited tea, hot chocolate or coffee.


I was so excited because its my first experience of Afternoon tea. I have been longing to try for a long time but never had the chance.

The session took place on the second level of Hotel Langham, next to Melba restaurant. 

On the way to the tables, there is a big table fully decorated with Burch & Purchese's masterpieces. It would be really great if they are real cakes :p

They have many choices of tea from the usual ones to its signature tea selections that are really unique, but these cost extra 2 or 3 dollars more. I just love their tea sets, they are really antiques. We ordered different types of tea and this pink colour tea caught my attention although the taste's below my expectation.

Not long after the teas arrived, the staff came up with the three tiers and YES another plate. 
Well, there're just too much food to fit in one stand i guess.

The first tier consisted of five different sandwiches, one of each per person. Don't get it wrong, this was a set for two so it looked like we had more. What I like best was the free range chicken, the chicken was really tender, its not strong in flavour but it did taste great.
Egg and MayonaiseFree Range ChickenCucumber and Cress
Cream Cheese and Chive
Smoked Salmon Pin Wheel
The second tier were the scones served with fruit jam, butter and clotted cream. The scones were perfectly baked for me, the outside was crisp and not dry in the inside. I enjoyed both the plain and the raisin ones although I'm not a big fan of raisin.
Plain & Raisin Scones with Fruit Jam, Butter and Clotted Cream
Burch & Purchese here we come! 

This stunning looking dessert tube was just praiseworthy. The creamy coconut mousse was balanced out with the freshness of the passionfruit curd. 
Coconut, Ginger, Passionfruit, Mint
The chocolate moussed was not only look elegant because of the chocolate mirror glaze but also tasted great. I had to carefully cut the piece as it's really smooth. 
Chocolate, Mandarin, Salted Caramel
However, the blackforest eclair was a let down for us. The cream filling did not bring out the flavour so it tasted a bit plain me. 
Black Forest Eclair
I would say all these three desserts were amazing. The meringue cloud was truly crisp, the sweetness was balanced out by the sourness from the dried passionfruit. The rubble was made with homemade popcorn & honeycomb, together bounded in Spanish milk chocolate. It was indeed addictive as written in the menu. The last piece was the gold bullion bar that was made with Spanish dark chocolate and filled with salted caramel. I would really take away some if they did sell this bar by itself that day :p
Passionfruit Meringue Clouds, Popcorn & Honeycomb Rubble, Burch & Purchese Gold Bullion Bar
I thought this was just gonna be like "snacking" but i was wrong since all of these food were totally fulfilling. However, i couldn't resist myself to order a hot chocolate when the staff was asking for last orders. And yes, I didn't regret it. I didn't expect it to be nice, but this hot chocolate was rich and had the right amount of milk. Totally YUM!!!
Hot Chocolate
Overall : 9, it was a really pleasant experience and i didn't regret it at all. Both Langham and B&P have done a great job. The service was really great too, staffs were friendly and helpful :)

Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment